Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Non-naked Monkey & a Track-hoe



For her 3rd birthday (last year), we asked Rachel what she wanted for her birthday. After some serious contemplation, she announced: "I want a pink monkey, and some clothes for the pink monkey so she's not naked, and I want to dig a hole with Grandpa."

Intriguing requests. I had seen a pink monkey in Build-a-Bear and they definitely had the clothes for said monkey, but the hole digging was what blindsided me! I asked if she meant digging a hole with a shovel in the backyard or if she was thinking grander like a track-hoe. Of course she meant the track-hoe. Her birthday arrived and I put a little track-hoe on top of her cake. We went to the mall & stuffed a pink monkey. She picked out a lovely swimsuit, sparkly flip-flops, and a yellow hard hat for the monkey to wear. Rachel named her monkey, Digger-the-Pink-Monkey. Oh yea, did I mention that the monkey was going to go dig the hole with her and grandpa? That's why it needed a hard hat (which is highly ironic since she didn't wear a hard hat when digging on the track-hoe)!

Too bad Grandpa was having some allergic reactions to medications at this time-Rachel isn't the most patient person (as much as it pains me to admit, she gets that from me). But he soon recovered and the hole-digging date was set, they were going to go dig a hole in the church Grandpa was building in Santaquin. Nana came to pick her up and Ben begged to go. Since it was Rachel's birthday wish she got to decide whether Ben could come along. She sized him up for a minute then declared "You can come Ben, BUT I get to dig the hole. Not you, ME and Digger!"
She loved every minute she spent with Nana and Grandpa (she even let Ben dig in the hole when she was done)!

I wish all birthday wishes were this simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment