Thursday, January 7, 2010

Rachel the Super Trooper

I will give the forewarning that if you have a WEAK CONSTITUTION you may want to SKIP THIS ENTRY...you have been WARNED!

The ca-chunk and instantaneous screaming that comes from a sleeping child's room is NEVER a welcome sound. But the first night of 2010 that is just the sound that split the calm night and sent us spiraling into chaos.

We were on vacation (of course) in St. George when poor Rachel took that fateful header. Lauren & Ben were still awake reading when Rachel finally fell asleep. Rob & I were out chit-chatting with Judy (Grandma) when we heard that horrifying sound of head hitting wood. Rachel was on the floor screaming & thrashing & bloody. I scooped her up & assessed that since I could see her skull, we were heading to the emergency room. Luckily Frank (Grandpa) was willing to stay with the other kids. Rob, Judy & I piled into the Burb & off we went.

Rachel stopped crying when we passed McDonalds & I told her we could stop there after we were done at the hospital. She didn't start crying again until a nurse put numbing gel onto it. If I could have stopped that nurse from putting the tape holding the numbing gel through Rachel's hair we would have avoided the tears that came later with its removal.

I almost started crying when the lady from admit told me we win the prize for the HIGHEST emergency room co-pay that she has ever seen. I think it would have hurt less for her to put tape in MY hair...but whatever right?

Back to Rachel

She quietly wept and whimpered while the Dr. administered the shots to finishing deadening her gash. Then we geared up for the worst of it...I held her hands, Rob held her right leg, a life flight nurse held her left leg and a paramedic held her head. Then...

SHE
FELL
ASLEEP

I kid you not, she slept through the stitches entirely! The Dr, nurse & paramedic were impressed with how well Rachel did (honestly, so am I-if it had been Lauren we would have had to sedate her to even get her into the car)! Rachel was so sound asleep that we got her coat on and her seat belt on and she didn't stir. McDonald's was going to have to wait until morning, but let's face it, Rachel is such a Super Trooper about everything that it wouldn't matter!

As a side note: Grandpa did a fabulous job babysitting for us! When we got home around midnight Lauren & Ben were asleep on his bed & he was dozing watching football! Thanks Grandpa & Grandma!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment